Dirty Rice Pudding
- 7 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 vanilla bean pods, scraped, divided
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruits, such as prunes, raisins, apricots, guava, golden raisins, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 -ounce sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 -ounce pistachios, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened whipped cream, plus more for garnishing, if desired
In a 2-quart saucepan combine the milk, sugar, 1 vanilla bean pod and scraped seeds, orange zest, star anise, cinnamon, salt, cardamom, bay leaf, allspice, nutmeg and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer and cook until the flavors are well incorporated, about 10 minutes. Strain, return the milk to the saucepan discarding the spices and add the rice to the pan. Cook the rice, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 25 to 27 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a heatproof bowl to cool.
While the rice is cooling, combine the dried fruit in a small saute pan with the lime and lemon juices and the scraped seeds from the remaining 1/2 vanilla bean and the scraped seeds Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Allow to cool completely and place in a food processor with the almonds and pistachios. Pulse until it forms a near paste. Remove from the food processor and add to the rice, which should be cooled to warm by now. Stir to combine. Add the whipped cream to the rice in 2 or 3 additions, folding gently to combine.
Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with additional sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.