- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat removed
- 4 large napa cabbage leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Chinese rice wine
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing cooking wine (Chinese rice wine)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon julienned ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
Place a bamboo steamer over a wok or pot of boiling water. Line the steamer with the cabbage leaves.
Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in the steamer. Steam the chicken for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the steamer and dice into 1/2-inch pieces. Place in a large, sanitized glass jar.
Add the stock, rice wine, Shaoxing, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, and white pepper. Place the lid on the jar and refrigerate for 24 hours. Serve the chicken chilled with the broth.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001