Duck Breasts with Cherries and Rose Sparkling Wine Reduction with Nutty Wild Rice
- 4 boneless, skinless duck breast halves, about 6 ounces each, patted dry
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots, or yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Brut Rose Sparkling wine
- 1/2 cup duck stock, or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon lavender
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons toasted, skinned, chopped hazelnuts, as garnish
- Nutty Wild Rice, recipe follows
- Nutty Wild Rice:
- 1 (8-ounce) package wild rice
- Chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup toasted, skinless, chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Score the fatty side of the duck breasts and lightly season with salt, pepper, and Essence on both sides. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the duck breasts and sear on the fatty side for 4 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side for 2 minutes, for medium-rare. Remove from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine, stock, cherries, lavender, honey, and thyme, and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up any bits clinging to the bottom of the pan. Cook until the cherries are plump and the liquid is reduced to a thick sauce, about 4 minutes. Add the butter in pieces, stirring constantly to incorporate. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Return the duck breasts to the pan with any accumulated pan juices and cook over low heat until warmed through, about 1 minute.
Transfer to 4 serving plates and spoon the sauce and cherries over each portion. Garnish with the toasted nuts and serve with the Nutty Wild Rice.
Cook and Pair with: Schramsberg Brut Rose Sparkling WineNutty Wild Rice:
Cook the rice according to package directions, using chicken stock instead of water, and adding 1 tablespoon of butter to the stock. When all the liquid has been absorbed, remove from the heat and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and add the nuts and parsley. Season to taste, as necessary.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Orange-Tarragon Duck Breast with Green Salad and Asparagus-Almond Rice, Trio of Flavors on a Stick: Duck Mousse, Duck Breast and Meringue-Berry, Duck and Sausage Etouffee, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Soup Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, New York Strip Steak Recipes, Veal Chop Recipes, Chicken
Thank you! your flag was submitted.