Easy Baked Striped Bass with Tomatoes, Rosemary and Olives
- 2 (3-pound) whole fish, such as striped bass, scaled and gutted
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 2 lemons, sliced 1/4-inch thick crosswise
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Drizzle white wine, plus 1 1/2 cups
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus 2 tablespoons needles
- 4 plum or 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons julienned lemon zest
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves, sliced (1/4-inch thick)
- 1 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup fish or shrimp stock
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Season the striped bass with the salt and pepper. Place the lemon slices on the bottom of a large roasting pan and top with the onion slices. Drizzle with white wine. Place 3 sprigs of rosemary on top of the sliced lemons and onion. Lay the fish on top of the onion slices, then divide the tomato slices, rosemary needles, lemon zest, garlic cloves and olives evenly over the tops of the fish. Pour 1 1/2 cups wine around the fish, and drizzle each fish with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Place the fish in the oven and roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove and drizzle the fish stock over the fish, as well as another 2 tablespoons of olive oil over each fish. Return to the oven and continue to cook until well caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the fish from the oven and drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil.
Serve immediately, with the pan drippings drizzled over the top of the fish.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman