Easy Rice Pudding
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 3 1/2 cups cooked medium or long-grain rice, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
In a bowl, place the raisins and cover with the water. Let sit until plumped, 5 minutes. Drain.
In a skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds until golden and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a large saucepan, combine the rice, milk, cream, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer, stirring, over medium heat. Reduce the heat slightly to maintain a low simmer and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until the mixture starts to thicken, about 30 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking, until a spoon is just able to stand up in the pudding, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the raisins, almonds, and remaining ingredients.