- 1 (1-pound) package large pita breads (6 pita rounds)
- 1 1/2 cups Best Basic Red Sauce, recipe follows, or store-bought pizza sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella or Monterey Jack (about 6 ounces), divided
Make sure the oven rack is in the lower 1/3 of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Lay the pita rounds on 2 large baking sheets. Pour 1/4 cup of the Best Basic Red Sauce or pizza sauce on each round and spread it evenly with the back of the spoon. Top each with 1/4 cup of the grated cheese.
Bake until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the sheets from the oven. Cut each pita pizza into 6 slices with a sharp knife or pizza cutter, transfer them to a plate using a turner, and serve immediately.
Best Basic Red Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onions (1 medium yellow onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves garlic)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a heavy wooden spoon.
Yield: 10 cups
Inactive Prep Time:
Ease of preparation:
Eat-a-Pita Pizza for 1:
For each pita round, you'll need just 1/4 cup of the Best Basic Red Sauce or store-bought pizza sauce and 1/4 cup of your favorite grated cheese. Preheat a toaster oven to 400 degrees F and assemble your pita pizza according to the directions above. Carefully place your pita pizza in the toaster oven and bake it for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Using a turner, carefully transfer your pita pizza to a cutting board and cut it into 6 slices with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Transfer the pita pizza to a plate and serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings