Eggplant and Sweet Sausage Bake
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from the casing
- 1 medium eggplant peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until brown. Add the eggplant, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly soft. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly wilted. Add the thyme, oregano, and garlic. Stir and cook for about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and parsley and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring. Remove from the heat and add the bread crumbs and cheese. Mix well.
Spoon into a casserole dish and bake for about 45 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse