Braised Celery Root:
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup small diced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups veal stock
- 2 cups medium diced celery root
- 1/2 cup small diced butternut squash
- 1/2 cup small diced roasted red peppers
- Salt and black pepper
Celery Root Mash:
- 1 cup small diced celery root
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup cooked mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 5 fried celery root chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
Preheat the grill. Rub each venison chop completely with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the hot grill. Grill the chops for about 7 to 8 minutes on each side for medium doneness.
For the braised celery root: In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, shallots, and garlic, saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the veal stock. Bring the stock up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add the celery root, butternut squash and red peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the celery root is tender.
For the celery root mash: In a sauce pot, combine the celery root and cream. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture up to a boil and reduce to a simmer until the celery root is fork tender, about 20 minutes. Using a hand-held blender, puree the mixture until smooth. Add the mashed potatoes and butter to the pot and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
To assemble, mound the potatoes in the center of the platter. Remove the chops from the grill and place against the potatoes with their bones crossing. Spoon the braised celery root mixture over the top of the chops. Garnish with the fried chips sticking out from the potatoes and the chopped chives and Essence.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Yield: 2/3 cup