Emeril's Chicken Cacciatore
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drum sticks
- 4 chicken wings
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade basil
- 1/2 pound cooked fettuccine or spaghetti
- 4 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Season the chicken parts with Essence. Season the flour with Essence. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, coating completely.
In a large Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and brown for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the red pepper, bay leaf, thyme, and basil. Add the chicken back to the mixture. Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
Serve over pasta, garnished with cheese and parsley.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.