Emeril's Fall River Chow Mein
- 1/4 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth or beef stock
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons gravy enhancer, optional, for color only (recommended: Kitchen Bouquet)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup diagonally sliced celery, about 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Fall River Chow Mein Noodles, recipe follows
- Fall River Chow Mein Noodles:
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 sheets egg roll wrappers, cut into thin strips (about 1/8 to 1/4-inch wide each)
Place mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with the boiling water. Allow mushrooms to stand for 5 minutes, or until slightly softened. Remove mushrooms and reserve for another use. Reserve 1/3 cup of the mushroom-soaking liquid.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup of the onions and cook until slightly softened but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and celery salt and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 2 1/2 cups of the beef broth and the reserved mushroom-soaking liquid and bring to a boil.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup beef broth, cornstarch, gravy enhancer, and soy sauce. Add the cornstarch mixture and the corn syrup to the saucepan and return the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the gravy is slightly thickened. Keep warm until ready to serve.
In a medium wok, heat the remaining vegetable oil over high heat. Add the remaining onions and the celery and cook until softened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes. Ladle 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the reduced gravy mixture into the chicken mixture, tossing to coat well, and remove from the heat. Place Fall River Chow Mein Noodles in the bottom of a dish and top with the chicken mixture. Ladle gravy over the chicken and noodles and toss to combine. Serve immediately.Fall River Chow Mein Noodles:
Heat vegetable oil in a skillet or pan with deep sides until it reaches 350 degrees F. Fry the strips of egg roll wrappers in the hot oil, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until crispy and golden brown. Remove from the heat with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve with Emeril's Fall River Chow Mein.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2005