Emeril's Kicked Up Chef's Salad
- 1/4 cup finely sliced shallot rings
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated, washed and spun dry
- 3 cups baby red leaf or oak leaf lettuces, washed and spun dry
- 2 Roma plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 Belgian endive, cut into chiffonade
- 1/3 pound Gruyere cheese, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 pound cooked ham, cut into thin strips (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 pound smoked chicken breast or turkey breast, cut into thin strips
- 2 large eggs, hard boiled, peeled and cut crosswise into thin slices
- Chopped chives, for garnish, optional
- Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish, optional
In a small bowl, combine the shallots and vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes. Add the cream and mustard, and whisk to combine. Add the oil in a steady stream and whisk until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Line 4 large plates with the Bibb lettuce leaves.
In a large bowl, combine the lettuces, tomatoes, endive, cheese, ham, and chicken. Add dressing to taste and toss to coat. Arrange the mixture in the center of the Bibb lettuce leaves. Decoratively arrange the egg slices around the outer edges of the greens. If desired, drizzle with more dressing. Garnish with the chives and parsley and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2006