Emeril's New Orleans-Style Welsh Rabbit
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup dark beer, such as Abita Turbodog
- 4 ounces sharp English cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Caerphilly cheese*, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry English mustard
- 1 pint raw oysters
- 12 (1/2-inch thick) slices French bread, toasted
- 6 slices crispy-cooked bacon, crumbled
- *Note: If you cannot find Caerphilly cheese, substitute cheddar.
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the beer. When the bubbles have begun to subside, add the cheeses, 1 handful at a time, stirring constantly and in 1 direction only, until smooth and creamy. Add 1 teaspoon of the Essence, the Worcestershire sauce, and the dry mustard and stir to combine. Keep warm while you prepare the oysters.
In a small skillet or saucepan, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat and add the oysters. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until the oysters are just cooked and have begun to curl around the edges, stirring occasionally. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Essence.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
New York Strip Steak with Tri-Berry Relish, Crispy Onion Strings and Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Prosciutto and Truffle Oil, Emeril's Warm Peach Pancakes with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and a Drizzle of Warm Caramel Sauce, Emeril's Drunken Beef, New York Strip Steak Recipes, Healthy Lunch Recipes, Baked Ham Recipes, Latin American, Roasted Turkey Recipes, Blue Cheese
Thank you! your flag was submitted.