Emeril's New-Style Caldo Verde
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 9 cups chicken stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound chorizo or linguica, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound kale
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- Salt and pepper
- Crusty bread, as an accompaniment
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and saute onion and garlic until vegetables are wilted, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes, chicken stock, and minced crushed red pepper. and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until potatoes fall apart, about 1 hour. To speed up this process, the potatoes can be mashed with a potato masher.
While the soup is cooking, roll the kale leaves so that they may be inserted into a meat grinder or shredder fitted with a small die and finely grind the kale. Alternatively, they can be shredded in a food processor fitted with a shredder blade. Set aside.
When the soup is thick and the potatoes have broken up, whisk to break up the remaining potato pieces. Add the sausage and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in the shredded kale and simmer until the leaves are softened but still slightly crunchy and flavors have melded, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley, cilantro, mint, and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Serve with crusty bread.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001