- 4 slices bacon, cut into small dice
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into small dice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pint oysters and their liquor
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound fresh spinach, well washed and stems removed
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/2 cup licorice flavored liqueur, such as Herbsaint, Pernod, or Ouzo
- Crispy Gruyere Croutons, recipe follows
In a large heavy stockpot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until brown, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, then the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the oysters, the oyster liquor and cream and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat.
Serve immediately with Crispy Gruyere Croutons.
Crispy Gruyere Croutons:
Place the sliced bread in 1 layer on a large baking sheet and bake until just lightly brown on both sides, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Remove the bread from the oven and rub the garlic over 1 side of each slice. Top each slice with cheese and roast until the cheese is bubbly, about 4 minutes. Serve 2 croutons with each serving of Oyster Rockefeller Soup.
Yield: 8 servings