Emeril's "Paniolo" (Hawaiian Cowboy) Steak
- Total Time:
- 44 min
- 12 min
- 12 min
- 20 min
- 2 hungry-cowboy servings, or 4 small servings.
- 1/2 cup hoisin
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup mirin or dry sherry
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced Hawaiian peppers or chile paste
- 2 (1-pound) rib-eye steaks
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 Maui onions, peeled and cut into thick slices about 1/4 to 1/2-inch, slices kept together not separated
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon crushed Szechwan peppercorns
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients, except the onions, Essence, and peppercorns.
Place the steaks in a large sealable bag with the marinade. Seal and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, and up to 36 hours.
Preheat a grill.
Remove the steaks from the marinade and pat dry. Season both sides with 1 tablespoon of the Essence and the peppercorns. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer until thickened and reduced by 1/3 in volume, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
Sprinkle the thick onion slices with the remaining 1 tablespoon of Essence.
Grill the steaks until medium-rare, about 6 minutes per side. At the same time, grill the onions (as though grilling a patty, so the rings stay together) until golden and char-marked by the grill, turning once.
Remove the steaks from the grill and top with the grilled onions. Serve with the reduced marinade as sauce.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Emeril's Grilled Cowboy Steak with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Fried Oysters and a Drizzle of Homemade Worcestershire Sauce, Emeril's Hawaiian Style Poke, Steak With Blue-Cheese Butter and Celery Salad, Gingerbread Recipes, Roast Beef Recipes, London Broil Recipes, Marinating, Grilling Recipes, Ginger Snap Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.