Emeril's Savory Pain Perdu
- 4 tablespoons Creole or whole grain mustard
- 8 slices French bread, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 pound Mortadella sausage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound Genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound Provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Shaker of powdered sugar
Smear the mustard on each half of bread. Layer with the cheese and sausages on one half, then top with the second half of the loaf. Press together slightly. In a shallow mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together. Whisk well. - Season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dip 2 of the sandwiches into the egg mixture, coating evenly. Fry in the butter until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and slice horizontally. Serve warm with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Repeat the process with the remaining butter and sandwiches.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.