- 8 all beef, bun-length hot dogs
- 8 regular-sized hot dog buns
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 recipe Jalapeno-Cheese Sauce, recipe follows
- Optional assorted garnishes: diced yellow onions, sauerkraut, mustard, ketchup, hot sauce, barbecue sauce, diced tomatoes, sweet or dill pickle relish, chiffonade of iceburg lettuce, and chili
Preheat a well-oiled grill to medium-high heat. Place hot dogs on preheated grill and cook with grill lid covered, until nicely marked on all sides and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes, or until desired degree of doneness. Remove hot dogs from the grill and keep warm until ready to serve.
Brush the cut sides of the hot dog buns lightly with the olive oil. Place cut side down on the grill and cook, with the grill lid open, until lightly toasted. Serve buns immediately with grilled hot dogs, Jalapeno-Cheese Sauce, and assorted garnishes.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby cheese
- 3/4 cup (mild or hot) pickled jalapeno slices, drained
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.