Emeril's Wedgie Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing and Shaved Red Onions
- 1/2 pound blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large heads iceberg lettuce, cored, washed, and patted dry
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly shaved lengthwise, for garnish
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked crisp, drained, and crumbled, for garnish
Combine the blue cheese, lemon juice, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt and black pepper in a medium-size mixing bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the mixture together to form a thick paste. Drizzle in the olive oil, stirring continuously with the fork until the mixture is creamy. Add the buttermilk and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Cut the heads of lettuce into 4 wedges. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the dressing over each wedge. Garnish with the shaved onion and crumbled bacon and serve immediately.