Falafel with Tahini Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or water
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Warm pita bread, split in half lengthwise
- Tahini Sauce, recipe follows
- Sliced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Tahini Sauce:
- 1/3 cup tahini paste ( sesame seed paste)
- 1/2 cup water, or more as needed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne
Combine the chickpeas, onions, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, turmeric, and cayenne in the bowl of a food processor. Process on high speed until it forms a smooth paste, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer to a bowl and add the baking powder and flour. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
Heat the oil to 360 degrees F. in a deep pot over medium-high heat.
With damp hands, shape the chickpea batter into balls about 1 1/2 tablespoons each and then flatten into patties. Fry in batches until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.Tahini Sauce:
In a blender, combine all the ingredients. Process on high speed to make a creamy sauce. Adjust seasoning, to taste, and serve with the falafel, as a dip or sauce for the sandwiches.
Yield: about 3/4 cup
Thank you! your flag was submitted.