- 6 cups vegetable stock, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups whole grain farro (or spelt), picked over for impurities and rinsed
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups quartered cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 pound okra, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 pound whole baby carrots, tops removed and scrubbed
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch thick half circles
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a simmer. Lower the heat to keep warm.
In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers, and celery and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and farro to the pan and cook, stirring, until the faro is toasted and coated with oil, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, okra, baby carrots, zucchini, bay leaf, and thyme, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of the warm stock, salt, black pepper, and cayenne, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock, 2 cups at a time, as the previous addition is absorbed, cooking and stirring, until all the stock is used and the grains are plump and tender.
Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley and adjust the seasoning,to taste. Serve immediately.