Fillet of Halibut, served over Olive Oil Roasted Fingerlings, Topped with Pea Shoots and Blood Oranges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 blood orange, juiced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 1 teaspoon
- 6 halibut fillets
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound pea shoots
- 2 blood oranges, cut into wedges for garnish
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onion and potatoes and toss to coat. Place it in the oven and roast until golden and tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, add sugar, vinegar and blood orange juice and bring to a boil. Reduce by 1/2 and set aside.
In a very large saute pan over medium-high heat, add 4 tablespoons butter and 2 teaspoons of oil. Season the fish with Essence, salt and pepper. Place fish in pan and cook until browned. Turn fish and repeat on the other side for the same amount of time.
Place the pea shoots in a bowl. Toss with some extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
To plate, place potatoes on the bottom of the each plate and top with 1 fillet. Place a mound of pea shoots on each fillet. Drizzle gastrique around the plate and garnish with blood orange slices.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse
Oven-Roasted Halibut with Black Olive Tapenade on Roasted Red Peppers (Rape Asado con Tapenada Negra Y Pimientos Morrones)
Recipe courtesy of Daisy Martinez