- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 (1/4-ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup picholine olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh savory
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar in the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let stand for 10 minutes. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add 3 cups of the flour, the salt, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and the yeast mixture. Turn the mixer on low speed and slowly mix until the dough comes together. Gradually add remaining flour. If the dough seems too wet, add up to 1/4 cup more flour. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts for 3 hours.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Punch down the dough, and transfer onto a lightly greased 9-by-13-inch baking sheet. Spread the dough to the edges of the baking sheet. Using your fingertips, make "dimples" in the dough. Drizzle the dough with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with olives, almonds and savory. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.