Fresh Crab Salad with a Celery Root Mayonnaise
- 2 ounces celery root, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 large egg*
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded radicchio
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the vegetable oil. The mixture will thicken slightly. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
Put the crabmeat in a medium-size mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of the dressing and toss lightly to mix. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Toss the radicchio with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread over the bottom of each serving plate. Spoon the salad in the center of the greens. Arrange the tempura peppers around the salad. Garnish with parsley.
*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman