Fresh Cranberry Compote
- 1/2 pound fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
Put the cranberries, orange and lemon zest, orange and lemon juice, sugar, vanilla, and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a medium-size nonreactive saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/2 cup of water and add to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, then stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Everyday is a Party Cookbook, by Emeril Lagasse, with Marcelle Bienvenu and Felicia Willett, published by William Morrow, 1999