Fresh Orange Pound Cakes with an Orange Glaze
- For the Cake:
- 8 ounces butter, (2 sticks) at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 3 medium oranges, zested
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the Glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 ounces sliced almonds, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Add the eggs and yolks, 1 at a time, and continue to beat until incorporated. Add the orange zest and vanilla. Add the flour and salt, 1/2 cup at a time until the batter is smooth. Spoon 1/3 cup of the batter into the prepared pans.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and orange juice together. Whisk until smooth. Place the wire racks over a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the glaze over each cake. Sprinkle the top of each cake with the almonds. Cool the cakes to room temperature. Place the cakes on a serving platter and serve.