Fried Eggs with Home Fries
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped poblano or green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and cut into1/2-inch cubes, and parboiled
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon Essence
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs, divided
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Set a 10-inch saute pan over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook the bacon slowly rendering the fat by stirring occasionally until crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan using a slotted spoon, and add the onions and poblano pepper and saute, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter, the potatoes, sage, Essence, and 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Continue to cook the hash, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are warmed through, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Set 2 (8-inch) nonstick skillets over medium-high heat, or 1 (10-inch) skillet, and add 1 tablespoon butter to each 8-inch skillet or 2 tablespoons to the 10-inch skillet When the butter is foamy, carefully crack 2 eggs into each skillet (or 4 into the 10-inch skillet), and season lightly with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the whites are firm, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining eggs and serve the eggs over the hash browns.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.