Fried Fresh Mozzarella with a Mushroom Ragu, Shaved Truffles and a Drizzle of White Truffle Oil
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 (1/4-inch) slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups fine dried bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound assorted exotic mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups veal stock reduction
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 medium fresh summer truffle
- Drizzle white truffle oil
Season both sides of the cheese with salt and pepper. Season the flour, egg wash and bread crumbs separately with salt and pepper. Dredge each slice of cheese in the flour, tapping off any excess, then dip each slice in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dip the cheese in the bread crumbs, coating completely.
In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the mushrooms and shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and the veal stock reduction. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and parsley. Set aside and keep warm.
In another large saute pan, over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Pan-fry the cheese until the crust is golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 1999.