Fried Onion Rings
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup Essence, recipe follows
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick rings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a bowl, combine the buttermilk with the hot sauce and 2 teaspoons of Essence. Add the onion rings and press to coat. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
In a medium pot, heat the oil to 360 degrees F.
In a shallow bowl or large dish, combine the flour with 2 tablespoons of the Essence. Dredge the onions in the seasoned flour, coating each ring evenly. Shake off any excess flour and carefully place the rings in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, turning to cook evenly and prevent sticking, about 3 minutes per batch. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Season the fried onion rings with Essence, and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Serve hot.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.