Fried Popcorn Shrimp with Mache, Roasted Corn, Asparagus and Grape Tomato Vinaigrette
- 1 ear corn, shucked, roasted
- 12 asparagus spears (pencil thick), ends trimmed and blanched
- 6 ounces mache
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup teardrop tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 pound rock shrimp
- 2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 6 tablespoons masa harina
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Cut the corn kernels off the cob using a sharp paring knife and set aside. Cut the asparagus in thirds on the bias. Place the mache in a large bowl with the roasted corn and asparagus. In a separate medium bowl, combine the shallots, garlic, mustard, vinegar, orange juice and lemon zest. Whisk to incorporate and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the bowl in a slow steady stream. Add the tomatoes to the vinaigrette and fold to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
Preheat a fryer to 360 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, place the buttermilk, hot sauce, rock shrimp and 1 tablespoon of Essence and stir to combine. In a separate bowl combine the corn flour, masa harina and remaining 1 tablespoon of the Essence, mix thoroughly. Allow the shrimp to marinate for 30 minutes, then remove from the buttermilk and place in the corn flour blend. Toss the shrimp in the flour until well coated Shake off excess flour and place the shrimp in the fryer until well browned and cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
To assemble the salad, remove the tomatoes from the vinaigrette and place in the bowl with the lettuce. Add 4 tablespoons of the vinaigrette to the salad bowl and toss to combine. Divide the salad among 4 entree plates, and divide the shrimp among the 4 plates. Serve immediately.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse