Fried Ravioli with Hot Sausage Ragu
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated provolone
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 fresh pasta sheet, about 11 by 14-inches, cut into 2-inch squares (to make 32 squares)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Hot Sausage Ragu, recipe follows
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Hot Sausage Ragu:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage (or 1/4 pound hot sausage and 1/4 pound sweet sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch sugar
In a bowl, combine the cheeses, egg yolk, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper and mix well.
Place 16 of the pasta squares on a lightly floured surface. Place about 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture into the center of each square. Lightly wet the edges with water with a fingertip, and top with a plain pasta square. Press to seal the edges.
Heat the oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
Beat the egg with the water. In a separate bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the Essence. Dip the ravioli in the egg wash and then into the bread crumbs, one at a time. Add in batches to the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and serve hot with the Hot Sausage Ragu.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Hot Sausage Ragu:
In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until brown and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, garlic, crushed red pepper salt, basil, oregano and black pepper, and bay leaf, and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, cream, and sugar, and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick and the flavors are blended, about 30 minutes, adding water as necessary to keep from getting too thick.
Remove from the heat, and cover until needed.
Yield: about 2 1/2 cups
More Recipes and Ideas:
Thank you! your flag was submitted.