- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 pound flank steak
For the salad:
- 1 cup cooked rice noodles
- 1/4 cup julienned red onions
- 1/4 cup julienned roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup julienned roasted yellow peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- 6 wonton wrappers, 4" by 4", cut diagonally, 12 triangles total
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- Drizzle of sesame oil for garnish
Preheat the grill. In a mixing bowl, whisk the shallots, 1 tablespoon garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar together. Place the flank steak in a small glass square dish and pour the marinade over it. Marinate the steak for 1 hour. Remove from the marinade and place on the grill. Grill on each side for 3-4 minutes for medium rare.
For the salad, combine all the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
For the wontons, heat the oil in a fryer or dep pan to 350 degrees and fry the triangles until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Stir the wontons consistently to prevent from sticking together. Remove from the fryer and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season with Essence. Slice the flank steak into 1/4" slices. Place a small amount of the salad on the fried triangles. Top each triangle with a slice of flank steak. Drizzle with sesame oil.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.