Frisee Salad with Lardons, Fried Eggs and Vinaigrette
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced on the bias in 1/2-inch pieces
- 9 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced Comte cheese
- 1 pound lardons, cut into pieces
- 2 finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 large eggs
- 6 heads frisee, washed and dried
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Drizzle baguette slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil and top with each slice with some Comte cheese. Place into oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and brown.
In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and lardons. Render lardons until crispy and caramelized.
Remove the lardons from pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Set aside. In the same skillet, add butter and crack eggs 1 at a time and cook 2 minutes per side, or until yolks are set.
While the eggs are cooking, arrange frisee in a large bowl. Pour dressing over frisee and toss to coat.
On 6 plates, arrange a mound of salad and top with fried eggs. Garnish with the lardons, set 2 croutons on each plate and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse