- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 4 ounces slab bacon, cut into 2-inch strips
- 8 ounces frisee, washed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 4 Poached Eggs, warm, recipe follows
Whisk together the mustard, vinegar, shallots, and garlic in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the bowl while whisking constantly. Season the dressing with the salt and pepper. Set aside.
Combine the frisee, chervil, chives, and tarragon in a large bowl. Drizzle the red wine vinaigrette over the lettuce and toss well to combine. Adjust seasonings with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the crispy bacon lardons and divide the salad among 4 salad plates. Place a warm poached egg on each salad and serve immediately.
3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
In a medium saute pan with straight sides, bring the water, vinegar, and salt to a boil over high heat. Crack an egg into a cup and slide the egg gently into the water. Crack another egg into the cup and when the water returns to a boil slide this egg into the water as well. Repeat with remaining eggs. When the water returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the eggs are set, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Yield: 4 poached eggs