Frozen Caramelized Banana and Chocolate Bombe
- For the Ice Cream:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled, sliced lengthwise in 1/2 and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons banana liqueur
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 cups chocolate mousse, recipe follows
- For the Garnish:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large bananas, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chocolate sauce, (in a squeeze bottle), recipe follows
- Quick Chocolate Mousse:
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate Sauce:
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
DirectionsFor the Garnish:
In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the bananas and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the liqueur and rum. Return the pan to the stove and carefully ignite the alcohol and shake the pan until the flames die down, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
Place the softened ice cream into a large bowl. With a wooden spoon, mix in the cooled banana mixture.
Line 1 cup molds with plastic wrap. Spread 3/4 cup of the ice cream over the bottom and sides of the molds. Spoon 1/4 cup of the chocolate mousse in the center of the mold. Fill the mold with the remaining ice cream. Wrap the molds in plastic wrap and freeze until firm.
For the garnish:
In a saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Cook the sugar mixture for 1 minute. Add the bananas and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.Quick Chocolate Mousse:
Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, over medium heat, and bring to a simmer. Cook until the chocolate melts completely, whisking occasionally. Remove from the heat, pour into a glass bowl and cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled. In an electric mixer with a wire whip, beat until the cream forms firm peaks.
Yield: 2 1/2 to 3 cupsChocolate Sauce:
Combine the half-and-half and butter in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Heat the mixture until a thin paper-like skin appears on the top. Do not boil. Add the chocolate and vanilla and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.