- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 pound sweetbread nuggets, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock, reduced to 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Butter, if desired
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and black pepper
For the sweetbreads: In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and Essence. Lightly toss the sweetbreads in the flour mixture, coating each piece completely. In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is smoking hot, add the sweetbreads. Sear the sweetbreads on each side, stirring constantly for about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a paper-lined plate. Season with Essence.
For the sauce: In the same saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the pan is smoking hot, saute the shallots and garlic for 1 minute. Add the lentils, tomatoes, reduction and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring up to a boil, reduce to a simmer, add the sweetbreads. Simmer the sweetbreads for about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the green onions. Finish the sauce with the butter and reseason if needed. To assemble, spoon the smothered sweetbreads into a shallow oversized bowl. Garnish with chopped parsley and fine ground black pepper.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.