Garlic Soup with Sauteed Sweet Shrimp
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups sliced red onions
- 40 cloves peeled garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 7 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 3 cups diced day-old French or Italian bread
- 1 pound sweet Maine shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup coarsely grated Parmesan
- 4 slices bread, toasted, for garnish, optional
- Freshly chopped chives, for garnish, optional
Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the red pepper flakes, onions, garlic cloves, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir well and saute until the onions are caramelized, for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add cubed bread and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
While the soup is simmering, make the shrimp garnish. Heat the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a small skillet or saute pan and add chopped garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, and add shrimp. Saute until just pink and turn off the heat. Stir in tarragon and set aside.
After the soup has cooked for about 30 minutes, increase the heat to high and whisk in the cream and Parmesan. Remove from the heat. Puree the soup with an immersion blender.
Garnish with bread, top with shrimp and sprinkle with chives.
Contains Shellfish: Consumption of raw or undercooked shellfish may substantially increase the risk of foodborne illness.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.