Gemelli with Smoked Salmon and Creamy Vodka Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup tomato concasse (tomatoes peeled, seeded, and cut into strips)
- 1/4 cup sliced scallion greens
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 cup fish stock
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces gemelli
- 1 tablespoon very finely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon, sliced thinly and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh basil
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato, scallion greens, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the vodka. Return to the heat and flame. When the flame dies out, add the fish stock. Bring to a boil and reduce by 50 percent in volume. Add the cream, salt, and pepper, and cook until reduced by 50 percent in volume.
Add the pasta to the cream sauce and toss to coat. Add the cheese, salmon, and herbs, and remove from the heat. Toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001