- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 3 teaspoons salt, in all
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne, in all
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 pounds white and dark chicken meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups long-grain rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped green onions
Heat the oil in a large heavy pot. Add the onions, shallots, garlic, bell pepper, 2 teaspoon of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the cayenne. Stir and brown the vegetables for about 20 minutes, or until they reach a dark caramelized color. Add the sausage and continue the browning procedure, stirring often and scraping the bottom and sides of the pot to loosen any browned particles, cooking for about 15 minutes. Season the chicken with the remaining salt and cayenne. Add to the pot with the bay leaves. Add the rice and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the water, stir, and cover. Cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 2-3 minutes. Garnish with green onions.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.