Greek Souvlaki Sandwich
- 3 pounds lean lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- 8 bamboo or metal skewers
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 16 bay leaves
- 8 pita breads
- Pita Salad, recipe follows
Preheat a grill.
Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 1 hour. Alternate meat, onion, cherry tomatoes, and bay leaves onto skewers. Grill over low flame for 10 to 15 minutes, until done.
Heat pita bread on grill until warm. Remove skewer from lamb, onion and tomatoes. Serve immediately in a pita, topped with Pita Salad.
3 cups shredded lettuce
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toss all the ingredients in a large bowl, taste and adjust seasonings.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller