Grilled Butterflied Rainbow Trout
- Olive oil
- 1 head escarole, cleaned
- 2 pounds baby artichokes, cleaned and halved
- 5 plum tomatoes, halved
- 5 shallots, halved
- 4 (12 to 16-ounce) whole rainbow trout, cleaned, head removed, and butterflied
- 2 cups flour
- Essence, recipe follows
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons very fine grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat a grill.
Press down on the trout to completely open and flatten. Season the flour with Essence, salt, and pepper and place in a shallow dish. Dredge the trout in the seasoned flour. Add butter and oil to a hot saute pan. Pan-fry the trout until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
Place the fish on top of the grilled vegetables and top with balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, and parsley.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2002
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay