Grilled Escolar with Crawfish Cream Sauce and Fried Arugula
- 4 (8-ounce) fillets of escolar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound crawfish tails
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 8 pieces fried arugula
- 2 tablespoons brunoise red peppers
- 2 tablespoons brunoise yellow peppers
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the grill.
Season the fish with 2 tablespoons olive oil and Essence. In a saute pan, heat the remaining olive oil. When the oil is hot, saute the shallots and garlic for 30 seconds. Add the crawfish and season with Essence. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cream, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the cream until it thickens and reduces by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Mount in the butter. Reseason and fold in the green onions.
Place the fish on the grill and grill for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Spoon the sauce in the center of the plate. Lay the fish across the sauce. Garnish with the cheese, fried arugula and peppers.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.