Grilled Garlic Chicken with Black Beans, Pico de Gallo and Homemade Guacamole
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 tomatillos, husked, walked and halved
- 2 heads garlic
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 1/2 pounds chicken quarters, bone in
- Smothered Black Beans, recipe follows
- Grilled Pico de Gallo, recipe follows
- Guacamole, recipe follows
- Smothered Black Beans:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3/4-pound) ham hock
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 pound dried black beans, rinsed and picked over
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Grilled Pico de Gallo:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Roma tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 jalapeno, halved, stem removed, and seeded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup peeled and finely chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons seeded and minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place first 4 ingredients into a large piece of foil and drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Gather up to make a pouch, pinching to seal. Roast for 20 minutes or until veggies are soft. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, squeeze the garlic out of the cloves into a food processor along with the peppers, onions and tomatillos. Pulse until smooth.
Preheat a grill to high. Drizzle the chicken skin with olive oil and place onto grill bone side down. Smear skin side with pepper mixture and turn over after 5 minutes. Top bone side with additional pepper mixture and grill another 5 minutes. Place onto a sheet tray and put in the oven for 20 minutes or until juices run clear.
For serving: On the bottom of the plate, spread Smothered Black Beans. Top with chicken, Pico de Gallo, Guacamole and tortilla threads.Smothered Black Beans:
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the ham hock, onions, celery and carrots, and cook, stirring until the vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the beans, cilantro, cumin, and enough water to cover by 1-inch and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the beans are very tender and beginning to break down, about 1 hour and 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and skimming any foam that rises to the surface.
Remove from the heat. Discard the ham hock. Add the lime juice, salt, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the hot sauce, to taste, transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
Yield: 3 cupsGrilled Pico de Gallo:
Preheat a grill to medium-high. When hot, lightly oil the grill ridges with some of the oil. Lightly coat the tomatoes, onion slices, and jalapeno using the remaining oil. Place the tomatoes, onion slices and jalapeno on the grill, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the vegetables are lightly charred on all sides, turning occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the grill and set aside to cool to room temperature.
When the vegetables have cooled, chop the vegetables and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve at room temperature.
Yield: about 1 cupGuacamole:
More Recipes and Ideas:
Marinated Grilled Chicken Pepitos, Grilled Chicken Couscous with Apricots and Pistachio, Grilled Tandoori-Spiced Chicken over Green Papaya Salad, Oven Fried Chicken Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Beef Wellington Recipes, Grilled Vegetable Recipes, Beans and Legumes, Jerk Chicken Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.