Grilled Mixed Vegetables with Balsamic-Garlic Basting Sauce and Italian Herbs
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh Italian herbs, such as oregano, basil, marjoram and parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound yellow squash or zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 large red onions, sliced crosswise into 1/3-inch thick slices, secured with toothpicks so that the rings stay together
- 1 large eggplant, ends trimmed, sliced lengthwise into 1/3-inch thick slices
- 1 large or 2 small bulbs fennel, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch wedges
- Kosher or sea salt, for garnish, optional
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for garnish, optional
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high.
In a mixing bowl combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Lightly brush the zucchini slices on both sides with the olive oil mixture. Place the zucchini slices on the grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until the slices are crisp-tender with nicely browned grill marks. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the kosher salt, if using. Repeat with the remaining vegetables, fitting as many on your grill as possible, and cooking until crisp tender. Garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano, if desired. Serve hot or warm.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril's Food of Love Productions, 2006