- 2 portobellos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated St. John's cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound fresh angel hair pasta, cooked al dente, tossed with olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 3 ounce block St. John's Cheese, for shaving
Preheat the grill. Season each mushroom with olive oil and Essence. Place on the grill and grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
For the sauce: In a hot saute pan, add the cream. When the cream starts to bubble and thicken, whisk in the cheese. Season with the garlic, salt and pepper. Simmer the sauce for 2 to 3 minutes.
In a pot of boiling salted and oiled water, drop in the fresh pasta for about 2 minutes, remove, drain, and add directly to the sauce. Remove the mushrooms and slice on the bias into 2-inch slices. Using a pair of tongs, place three nests of pasta in the center of the platter. Spoon the remaining sauce over the pasta and around the plate. Arrange the mushroom around the pasta. Garnish with hand-shaved cheese and chives
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.