- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 pound large shrimp, about 16, shelled and deveined
- 4 wooden skewers
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and quartered lengthwise, fanned out onto 4 plates
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned (all pith and membranes removed)
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
In a medium non-reactive bowl, whisk together the lime juice, marmalade, garlic, cilantro, 7 tablespoons of the olive oil, soy sauce and dried hot red pepper flakes. Using a measuring cup, remove 1/2 cup and set aside, refrigerated. Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss to combine thoroughly with the marinade. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place the skewers in a shallow tray and cover with hot water. Set aside until you are ready to grill the shrimp.
Preheat a grill or broiler to medium heat.
Place the shrimp on the soaked wooden skewers. Lightly pat dry with paper towels and, using a brush, lightly coat the shrimp on both sides with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Grill for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until shrimp are golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Place the shrimp on top of the fanned avocado slices and season with salt to taste. Top with the orange segments then divide the reserved dressing evenly among the 4 plates and garnish with the cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately.