- 2 cups small dice ripe mango
- 1 Haas avocado peeled, and small diced
- 1 cup tomato concasse
- 1/2 cup small dice red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 soft-shell crabs, cleaned and patted dry
- 1/4 cup olive oil, for brushing
- 4 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Limes for drizzling
For the salsa: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the diced mango, avocado, tomato, red onion, garlic and jalapeno. Toss thoroughly using a rubber spatula or large spoon. Pour the lime juice over the salsa and add the cilantro, parsley olive oil and Kosher salt to the salsa and stir to blend. Allow the salsa to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.
For the crabs: Prepare the gas or charcoal grill for grilling over high heat. Brush the crabs with the olive oil and season with the Essence and salt. Place the crabs on the grill and cook, turning often for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and serve immediately. Serve the crabs 2 per guest with 3/4 cup of salsa per serving. Squeeze more lime juice over the crabs if you desire.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.