Grilled Stuffed Quail with Kicked-Up Lentil Salade au Lardon
- 8 boneless quail, about 4 ounces each
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 4 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- Kicked Up Lentil Salade au Lardon, recipe follows
- Fried leeks, for garnish
- Kicked Up Lentil Salade au Lardon:
- 8 ounces French green lentils
- 3 whole garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups frisee
- 3 cups arugula
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the quail in a baking dish and toss with the oil and lemon juice.
Combine the goat cheese, prosciutto and thyme in a bowl, and mix well. Stuff each quail with some of the cheese mixture and season on both sides with Essence. Place in a baking dish and bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. You can also saute the quails in a pan for 3 to 4 minutes per side and then finish cooking in the oven.
Remove from the oven. Place 2 quail on top of each serving of Kicked Up Lentil Salade au Lardon, garnish with fried leeks, and serve immediately.Kicked Up Lentil Salade au Lardon:
In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme. Cover with water by 1-inch, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until just tender yet still firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and discard the garlic, bay leaves, and thyme. Place the lentils in a large bowl and set aside.
In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels, leaving 3 tablespoons of fat in the pan. Add the carrots, celery, shallots and garlic, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the vegetables to the bowl with the lentils. Add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, and 4 teaspoons of the vinegar, tomatoes, parsley, Essence, salt and pepper, and toss to mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine the frisee, arugula and bacon. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 teaspoons of red wine vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss the dressing with the greens and divide among 4 plates. Top with the lentil salad and the goat cheese. Serve.
Yield: 4 servingsEssence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay