Grilled Swordfish with Caponata Relish
- 4 (6-ounce) swordfish fillets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Caponata relish, recipe follows
- Caponata Relish:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large eggplant (about 2 pounds), finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes (about 4 large)
- 1 cup pitted, chopped green olives
- 1 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
Rub both sides of the fillets with olive oil and season lightly with the salt and pepper. Grill until the fish is cooked, but still slightly rare in the center, turning once, about 7 minutes.
Remove from the heat and serve with the Caponata Relish.Caponata Relish:
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the vinegar and sugar. Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes, stirring. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Heat 1/4-cup oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and saute for 30 seconds. Add the eggplant and salt, and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and saute until thickened, about 12 minutes. Add the olives and pine nuts, and stir in the vinegar mixture 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency and flavor is reached. Stir in the basil and remove from the heat. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
Yield: about 5 cups
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001