Grilled truffled Gruyere Sandwiches on Mesclun Humboldt Salad
- 3 tablespoons truffle butter
- 6 (1/4-inch thick) slices high quality white bread
- 1 pound Gruyere, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups mesclun greens, cleaned and dried
- 1 cup crumbled Humboldt Fog cheese
Heat a large griddle or saute pan over medium-high heat. Lightly butter 1 side of each piece of bread with the truffle butter. Place 3 slices of the bread, buttered side-down on the griddle. Place Gruyere on top of each slice and top with the remaining bread, buttered side-up. Cook until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted. Weight with a heavy pan, if desired, for a pressed sandwich.
While the sandwiches are cooking, make vinaigrette.
Remove the sandwiches from the griddle and slice in half. Place over the greens. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri