Grilled truffled Gruyere Sandwiches on Mesclun Humboldt Salad
- 3 tablespoons truffle butter
- 6 (1/4-inch thick) slices high quality white bread
- 1 pound Gruyere, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups mesclun greens, cleaned and dried
- 1 cup crumbled Humboldt Fog cheese
Heat a large griddle or saute pan over medium-high heat. Lightly butter 1 side of each piece of bread with the truffle butter. Place 3 slices of the bread, buttered side-down on the griddle. Place Gruyere on top of each slice and top with the remaining bread, buttered side-up. Cook until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted. Weight with a heavy pan, if desired, for a pressed sandwich.
While the sandwiches are cooking, make vinaigrette.
Remove the sandwiches from the griddle and slice in half. Place over the greens. Serve immediately.