Grilled Vegetable Antipasti
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound eggplant, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound yellow squash, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, stem, seeds, and ribs removed, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted pine nuts, garnish
- Chiffonade fresh basil leaves, garnish
- Bruschetta, recipe below, accompaniment
In a bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper flakes to make the marinade.
Place the eggplant, zucchini, squash, onions, and bell peppers in a large bowl and toss with the marinade, to coat. Let marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
Preheat the grill to very high heat (alternately, preheat the broiler). Remove the vegetables from the marinade and lay on the grill, in batches if necessary. Grill over very high heat until marked, about 1 minute per side. Remove with tongs and place on a platter to cool slightly. (Alternately, arrange in 1 layer on a large baking sheet and broil until beginning to char, 2 to 3 minutes per side.)
Sprinkle the vegetables with the cheese, pine nuts, and basil. Serve with the bruschetta or as a salad.Bruschetta:
1 loaf Italian bread, such as Ciabatta, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, ends discarded
1 large whole clove garlic, peeled and crushed
Preheat the grill to medium-high.
Place the bread slices on the grill and cook until marked and lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. Rub 1 side of the bread with the crushed garlic and reserve until ready to serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.